Hero Ink Review 203/ 233a 232a (iron gall)/ 234 234a (carbon)

Here is all I know about Hero Ink. A writing sample of my ink collection is placed in the end of this article also in the YT video.



In my opinion, it is stupid to collect inks: because all ink comes with an expire date, which most even enthuristists are never aware of. Same as you never collect a bag of crisp. 

I bought several bottles of 234 (in glass) in 2016 as I realised it was the transition period from glass (234) to plastic (234A). So it was the last chance to get hold of 234. In the meantime, I see no quality variance between 234 and 234A. 

Some of the Hero ink line collection is messy. I have to assume, there are several ink factories under Hero Group, and they all act independently, e.g. 200/400/440/88XX/90XX/284A/Black ink in tall square bottle 45ml, I find no information regarding their difference in formula. All is says: High Quality Pigment, Non-Carbon. But they do perform differently. 

Here is the lineup, as of today (notice: entire 23X series was replaced by 23XA in 2019, glass bottle to plastic bottle) : 







I do not have experienced with all of them. Here is what I experience: 

440 - premium pigment ink, unsure of being carbon or not. waterproof. 

20X - I found all these series with fading color within in 6 months. All washable. Not recommended for any use, even for school. I still would like to see my school work after 2 decades. 



232A - iron gall. great color. 90% waterproof, the black will stay. highly recommended. no need to worry about acid fluid corrodes your steel nibs, for people with a massive pens collection like you, your steel nibs will definitely outlive you. 





233A - very strauted and delightful blue. washable. but the writing colour will fade away within one month. unsuitable for testament, suitable for your expensive legacy pens. 



234 & 234A - both carbon ink. 

  • 234 (glass bottle) was discontinued and replace by 234A (plastic bottle) around 2018. The remaining stock lasted till end of 2019. 
  • 234 was made in Jiading, outskirt of Shanghai. 
  • 234A was made in Lishui, Zhejiang. 
  • No other information regarding any formula change between the two though. 



















Writing Samples as in the YT video: 







Comments

  1. Thanks for the review. It really helps me choosing which Hero inks I should buy. 234A it is!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment